Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Why Netflix doesn't have The Wire at my local distribution center

This is really annoying.

I've read in so many places how great a show The Wire is, and after watching Deadwood and thinking it's one of the best things ever on TV, I decided to give it a try. So I put the first DVD from the first season in my queue, and it showed "Long Wait" so it took a few tries to get it. That's fair enough. But, when it finally moved up into the "Shipping" part of my queue page, it said they expect to ship it tomorrow. Hmm. That's very unusual. And then I got an email that said it would be shipping tomorrow from a distribution center in another state. That never happened before. Well, I watched the DVD, and I thought it was interesting, so I put the 2nd DVD (which did not say "Long Wait") at the top of my queue. The exact same thing happened. It would ship tomorrow from another city. And would you believe that the third DVD is shipping tomorrow from a city halfway across the goddamn country?!? I do not live in Jericho, Kansas, people. I live in a major metropolitan area on the west coast. There must be at least two distribution centers within this major metropolitan area, and probably several more within the same state. Why do none of these centers have any of The Wire available?

Over the past few months, we've gone through more DVDs that usual, around 10-12 each month. It is possible that this is a form of throttling, but why with these DVDs, which do not show "Long Wait"? Why is it that most new releases which I put at the top of my queue ship right away, even if they do say there is a wait? I've never had any problems with Netflix before, so I'm not thinking about ending our business relationship over this, but it's annoying and I don't get it at all.

No comments: